The word ‘measuring’ instantly brings the idea of something related to numbers and figures. However, when talking about measuring human performance, the combination of numbers and intuitive insights are the factors that must be integrated well to determine the overall process.
Measuring employee performance can help you set cross-functional team objectives and key results that are highly productive and result oriented for your organization.
The current work environment has been set in a way where the management conducts annual performance analysis of the employees and tells them what’s working for them and what’s not.
But presenting analysis, report, or giving performance chart after a year might not bring the results. Instead, regular performance-feedback is essential. Approximately 63% of the employees feel unhappy because they aren’t praised.
So, getting it straight, employee performance on a daily, monthly, and bimonthly basis is crucial. I have presented ways for you to measure employee performance and the high-tech tools that bring in the best results.
All You Need To Know About Boosting Employee Performance
Measuring employee performance is of great importance. Let’s eye some of the best tips to measure employee performance.
Implement Management by Objectives Model
Management by objectives is basically a management model designed to improve the overall organization’s performance by describing and translating its goals into the individual goals.
The translated goals are the company’s ambitions that the employees must take forward as they are the engine of this functional body.
The goals are determined and serve as the objectives that are worked on and take to the desired results. The objectives comprise the point system, and employees must earn points once they completed their objectives. This practice leads to motivation and enthusiasm.
These objectives and their results can be designed according to the organization that is more data-driven.
Tracking & Eliminating Errors
Employee performance must be tracked with the number of errors committed if your workforce is committing mistakes, which means that your productivity is compromised.
Try to derive the employee performance tracking method that can be useful in tracking and make improvisation. With proper monitoring, errors can be spotted and eliminated instantly.
For example, if your computer programmer is committing errors by leaving bugs in software code, then the whole work will be significantly compromised. The company that releases weekly or monthly versions of software versions would experience a significant loss, and the whole project would be left in a threatening situation.
Therefore, it is important that the software is tested after completing each milestone.
Use of Feedback Tools & Methods
It is rightly said that;
‘Mistakes should be examined, learned from, and discarded, not dwelled upon and stored.’
Things can be bettered, improved, and brought to the track with the right usage of feedback. Organizations that have perfect feedback processes tend to grow more than the others.
Feedback tools such as 360-degree and 180-degree are used to evaluate the overall performance. These tools help the management collect overall performance evaluations of all the employees, such as peers, subordinates, clients, and managers.
The best thing about this employee evaluation tool is that it allows employees to see the difference between their own opinion about themselves and how other people see them.
Evaluation of Generated Leads
I have already mentioned that employees are the engine of any organization, so their performance is directly linked to yours. Their performance can be determined with the right amount of revenue that they are bringing in individually.
As most companies have sales representatives, that means that they are measured by the total number of sales or possible leads that the representatives are bringing in. The revenue that each employee brings in monthly reflects the overall performance.
Watch-over the Overall Task Handling
Whatever your organization is or whatever domain you work in, handling, maintaining, and delivering quality is essential. From manufacturing to packaging to and from marketing to delivery, all the people involved in the processes are advised to maintain the standards.
For instance, if you have run an IT company, it is of great importance to track each employee’s performance as you must have tons of different projects running. So, maintaining quality while meeting targets is paramount.
Apply Findings from the Consumer Survey
For every organization, the matter of importance is the satisfaction of its clients. If clients aren’t satisfied with products or services, it is evident that employee performance is lacking.
The consequences of poor employee performance led to unsatisfied clients, and it can be easily tracked and identified using employee performance measurement tools. If the client’s response is positive, it means that the overall employee performance is up to the mark.
So, it is important to analyze customer feedback and use it as a basis for enhancing employee productivity.
Another practical and great step is to ask the employee to evaluate their own performance. When employee critically evaluates themselves, the chances of improvement increases.
Now, if you are wondering how it could be done, you need not worry about that as I got you covered on this. A lot of companies ask employees to fill the employee self-evaluation form in which employees usually have to rate their performance based on a scale.
For instance, most self-evaluation forms include statements like ‘I am a productive employee,’ ‘I am always willing to learn new things.’ For each statement, employees have to select one option from the following: 1) strongly disagree, 2) disagree, 3) neutral, 4) agree, and 5) strongly agree.
When employee rate themselves, they see a broader picture of themselves while their fear of being misjudged by the management also reduces.
Attitude & Presentation – Lead by Example
The common issue found in some of the employees that result in poor performance is their attitude towards the subordinates, coworkers, and the company. This thing also indicated that employee is unlikely with meeting performance objectives.
The presentation also counts in the performance as most of the companies have dress codes that must be followed by every employee. If someone isn’t following the code, that means there is another loophole in the performance chart.
Those employees who don’t dress appropriately and present a careless appearance reflect poorly on its image. An easy way to drive employee performance is to tell them directly and indirectly what you expect from them. If you want a performance culture in your organization, you need to go the extra mile.
Top Tools For Measuring Employee Performance
Now that you are already familiar with the ways through which you can increase employee performance, it’s the time to look over the tools that can bring great results to track employee performance.
The employee performance management tool that tops our list is Grosum. It’s a complete performance monitoring and compensation management system that can help you in incredible ways. Some of its great features are:
- It fulfils the human resource needs of both small and medium sized organizations.
- Help managers align team members to work on business priorities through scoring and graduation.
- It helps organizations to compare the performance of different teams.
- One-on-one feedback and recognition provides real-time progress with a focus to help and improve.
- 360-degree feedback enables employees to enhance their careers. The feedbacks are taken from multiple stakeholders while maintaining complete anonymity.
- Helps firms analyze performance against organizational needs.
- The prices of this cloud-based management software starts from $4 which is quite affordable.
Another tool for measuring employee performance is WorkiQ. It is a software that works exceptionally well to track the time invested in productive and non-productive activities.
WorkiQ’s dashboard gives several benefits, such as;
- This software provides a dashboard that gives a clear picture of which employees are correctly performing and which are not.
- It tells you the employees’ details, such as their strengths, whose skills are the best fit for individual work.
- It helps in spotting and rewarding the employees’ behavior.
- If some employees aren’t performing or are unproductive, the tool can be of great use as it helps in identifying the behavior and provide in-time coaching.
- It compares the productivity of the employees and helps in dealing with uncertain complexities.
There are some cons too. It is only suitable for small businesses and supports only desktop devices. The prices are quite higher, and it doesn’t come with a free trial option.
Asana is a monitoring software that helps in tracking time and management skills.
- It is an excellent tool when you are tight on budget.
- It evaluates the overall time that needs to be spent on a project or task.
- It helps in tracking the tasks in real-time.
- With Asana, you can easily track the issues and can eliminate them in real-time.
- Having Asana integrated with the workforce, you can make all your clients happy, and employee performance can be evaluated.
A major disadvantage of using Asana is that it is not user friendly, especially for new users. Because it is too complex, it only suits to big organizations and big projects. A huge limitation of this software is that it doesn’t track the time spent by members on activities.
Trello, another name that is a top pick, offers huge benefits such as;
- Helping in visualizing workflow and keeps things super organized.
- It is a cloud-based board that helps in organizing tasks and also helps growing teams in sync.
- It is highly helpful in creating new boards for different business functions and manages processes more efficiently.
- Trello simplifies the overall process and helps you in keeping things in track or order.
- Even the free version of Trello is robust and reliable, so if you doubt my words, you can check yourself.
- It is enjoyable and flexible to use Trello, which means you can complete projects in a fun way.
It is a popular tool not without some loopholes. It is not the best option if you are managing big projects because the storage capacity is limited. Moreover, you’ll not find an option to edit the comments on the card once they are posted. The only option you’ll have is to post another comment.
ToDoist helps you in ways than you ever imagine. It is cloud-based, which means all the information and data is available 24/7/365.
- It helps you track individual assignments, tasks, and projects that you have assigned to your team.
- It has one state-of-the-art feature, and that is compatible with different platforms.
- By eyeing all the small goals, ToDoist helps you in achieving big and significant goals.
- Productivity can be monitored by plotting a graph that helps you improve and reshape the performance standards.
- ToDoist allows you to share files, break down and segment the different projects, and use of templates for projects.
The few disadvantages include:
- You can’t retrieve the completed tasks once you mark them ‘Done’.
- You can’t see the project and its subprojects with one click. You have to click on each subproject separately.
- The tracking options are limited.
DeskTime is a powerful and straightforward tool that offers substantial benefits. With this powerful tool, real-time and automatic tracking is enhanced to a magnificent level. Some of its best features are:
- This tool allows organizations to categorize applications used to evaluate and improve productivity.
- Tracking unproductivity and elements causing it can easily be tracked and eliminated or amended.
- It is a rich-data tool that tells how much time you invest in your systems and helps you optimize it.
- DeskTime also helps in the employees’ accountability with which you can monitor the absent, late comings, or slacking of employees that are key factors in enhancing employees’ performance.
- The prices are starting at $7, which is quite affordable.
The major drawback of using this tool is that it is not suitable for big enterprises. Sometimes the software doesn’t show the actual working time due to technical glitches. This can affect the payroll.
For organizations, working as a team is of great importance. Slack is a tool to know what is happening and how it is happening.
- Slack’s feature, ‘Internal Email Usage,’ is best for boosting the productivity of overall teams.
- With Slack, you can share documents, use rich and compelling text with emojis to improve employees’ performance.
- In the overall process, Slack helps you engaging employees, but it also enables you to track their performance and morale.
- Slack shows the accolades of employees displayed on one platform, and anyone can see their performance.
This option isn’t a good one if your employee strength is more than 150 because messages can get noisy and disorganized. Finding old conversations is a bit tricky.
Employee performance is of significant importance for any organization. It is great to have a proper check on the employees’ performance to achieve maximum output.
Samantha Kaylee is currently working as a Head of Digital Marketing at Dissertation Assistance, an excellent platform to ask a professional to write my dissertation UK. She has been in the digital field for almost a decade. Her expertise and analytical knowledge are great with love for producing compelling write-ups.